Monday, January 10, 2011

Weight Watchers

I've noticed that my own little "diets" haven't been working. There's no rules, there are no restrictions, there's no one 'watching' me to make sure I'm doing a good job. In other words, there's no structure. So, I decided to go back on Weight Watchers. I've had some success with WW before, so I decided to try it again.

Instead of doing the meetings, I did the online program. I'm a little worried about that - going to the meetings is inspirational, and the thought of someone else weighing me in also gives a little extra motivation. But I'm pretty busy with a weird work schedule, so I figured that the online program would just be easier.

I started yesterday with the points system. I weighed in at 137.9 pounds, which is lower than I thought I was, but still much too high for my height and body. At least it's not in the 140's - that way, if I even just lose 10 pounds in the next few months, I'll be in the 120's, and that's a less intimidating figure to go by.

I did decent yesterday. With this plan, I have to record everything I eat and get the points, which really makes me think hard about what I'm eating. I had enough time yesterday to plan out everything I was going to eat all day and to make both my lunch and dinner, which was a nice luxury.

So, yesterday. For breakfast I had 2 egg whites and a Fiber 1 bar, coming in at about 5 points. I like to start out my morning with low points - that way I don't feel stressed about the rest of the day. I made myself an AWESOME lunch. The only thing is, I ate earlier than I normally do, at like 12:30... so I was hungry too early. I need to eat lunch at around 1 or 1:30 from now on. Anyway, I got a yummy lunch recipe off of WeightWatchers.com. I figured since I was home with nothing else to do, I might as well make myself a nice little lunch. I made these pita sandwiches with hummus, cucumbers and lettuce in a lemon-dill dressing and with feta cheese. They were DELICIOUS. Definitely something I am going to have to make much more often! It was quick and easy and low points - only 8 for the whole pita. And it was filling. I really, really liked it.

I got hungry again by 2 though. I'm so used to mindlessly snacking that I guess I'm just hungry all the time. :( I wanted a healthy snack, but what I REALLY was craving was something bad for me. I tried to have an Eggo waffle with peanut butter spread on it, but it was disgusting and I couldn't finish it. I ate an orange and was still starving. So finally I caved and had some Eggo waffle cereal. I was so annoyed at myself but what can you do really?

I did get to go to the gym, which I was really happy about. I did a Step class and it was all cardio, kind of hard, and exhausting. It was pretty intense. That got me a few extra points.

Dinner was another delicious meal! I picked another recipe from WW, a kind of healthier fried rice. Brown rice, Swiss chard, carrots, scallions, ginger, snow peas, regular peas, and soy sauce - it was amazing. Seriously, I loved it. I had one and a half servings and could probably have had only one, but it was so yummy! It's definitely something I have to make more of. Vegetable fried rice is my absolute favorite thing to get at the Chinese place, and this was a much healthier alternative! Plus, I had leftovers. Since I'm interning today and will be home late, I'm just going to heat up one serving of that when I get home. I think I'll also make a salad full of veggies. I love that veggies and must fruits are only 0 points - I try to fill myself up on those when I'm hungry.

Oh! I also tried drinking a sip of water in between each bite during dinner last night. It slowed down my eating and definitely filled me up more. I was sooo full after dinner. And guess what? I went to the movies and didn't even get popcorn! That is an accomplishment - movie theater popcorn with butter is one of my favorite snacks EVER.

Today I have done okay. Not really a balanced breakfast and kind of high in points, but what can I say? I desperately need my coffee in the morning! I had my usual venti vanilla latte, but for the sake of points, I got it with nonfat milk. That was 6 POINTS. Ugh! Yes, I realize that that is wayyyyy too many points to be wasting on a liquid, but I LOVE my vanilla lattes! I don't want to give them up and I NEED the extra caffeine that comes in a venti!

I also had a Kellog fiber bar for breakfast, bringing my points total up to 9 so far. For lunch, I'm going to have 10 vegetable soup from Hale & Hearty - only 3 points for a large! I'm going to skip the bread though.

Knowing I was only going to have vegetable soup for lunch, I packed myself a little snack to get me through those 4-6 hunger pains: Carrots and snow peas. I also brought a bottle of water.

I just figured out that with my soup and my dinner tonight, that's all my points for the day! Those 9 points for breakfast are killing me. And tonight I really want to watch the Peoples Choice Awards so I don't even know if I'll have time to exercise! I need to figure out a no points salad to eat with dinner so I fill myself up enough!

I'll keep you updated on my progress. I know I always say that and then don't write in here for weeks, but I like Weight Watchers - so hopefully this will stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment