Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 2, Part 2

So I'm going to finish writing about yesterday!

For lunch, I made a big and delicious salad.

I mixed together romaine lettuce with radishes, jicama, avocados, kalamata olives, sunflower seeds, and broccoli. I also made my own dressing to put on it: 


It looks gross, but it's so yummy! It's made with nonfat plain yogurt, canola oil, fresh parsley, lemon juice and garlic. I don't think it's very fattening, and I like that I know exactly what's in my dressing.

So my salad was delicious! I am absolutely obsessed with jicama ever since I tried this winter salad recipe from Bon Appetit. This salad I made yesterday is a smaller version of it, and it's amazing. But seriously, jicama is my new favorite thing. I never thought a root could be so pleasantly sweet and crunchy and amazing. I want to add it to every salad I make!

After lunch I tried really, really hard not to eat. When I'm sitting around doing nothing is when I am most likely to eat just because I'm bored. I ended up having a Weight Watchers toffee ice cream bar. I don't think those are terrible for you and it's a nice way to calm my sweet tooth.

I wish I took a picture of the dinner I made, but I was in such a rush to eat it that I totally forgot! I picked a recipe off of Cooking Light and made it for my family: Orzo with zucchini and tomatoes. It was really really yummy but needed a protein -- it tasted more like a side dish. I sauteed fresh zucchini with canned diced tomatoes (which are actually delish!), roasted red peppers and some herbs. It mixed in with the cooked orzo and crumbled goat cheese, which made the whole dish creamy and wonderful, and a little pecorino romano cheese. It was really good and definitely something I will keep in mind for the future.

As the night went on I was still hungry -- my dinner just wasn't filling enough! I ended up getting a hot chocolate from Dunkin Donuts. This wasn't as bad as what I would have ended up doing if I wasn't with Mark, because all I wanted was chips or mac and cheese. So I know the hot chocolate was a bad choice, but I don't know. It's hard to let go of so many bad habits at once!

I hope I can do good over the weekend! That's usually the hardest time for me, but I'm really going to try hard. I've found myself hungry a lot lately and I feel like that might be a good sign. Today I woke up STARVING, and while I know what I would LIKE for breakfast, I'm going to make something healthy. I'm also going to make that salad again for lunch and maybe have a small side of vegetarian chili to keep me filled up. For dinner, I'm not sure yet -- I kind of want to make something but I don't know what to make.

Also, I'm going out with my friends tonight. Lately, I don't have the urge to get wasted and drink everything in sight. I don't know why, exactly, but a part of it is that drinking honestly makes my stomach hurt really bad. I hate going home with that horrible feeling even after only drinking a little bit. So when I go out tonight, I'm probably going to have one drink and going to make it a vodka/cranberry or something. I just don't want to drink that much! 

Well I'll write about my food adventures today later! Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment