Monday, January 4, 2010

Let the adventure begin....

Diet Tip of the Day: 

Buy 100-Calorie Snack Cookbook by Sally Sampson. 


Today was the first day of my new diet. I can't really call it a diet, though, because it's more of a healthier eating plan. Basically, eat less - smaller portions, less snacks. And eat healthier - no afternoon chocolate bars or late night drunken mac n' cheese. You know how it goes. At $20, it's a little pricey, but totally worth it. The snacks are delish, easy to prepare, and fill you up - and obv 100 calories or less. I know a lot of people stick to those handy little 100-calorie snack packs that food companies invented to try to make some money out of obsese America, but trust me when I say that it is so much worth it to make your own 100-cal snack instead of being lazy. That mini bag of chocolate covered pretzels might not be chock-full of calories, but it still isn't going to fill you up and hold you over like a satisfying snack should do. The snacks in this cookbook will. 




What I ate today: 


Breakfast:
-Triple grande nonfat vanilla latte from Starbucks. 
-Low-fat chocolate chunk granola bar 
Let me tell you, this is definitely NOT the breakfast of champions. The latte from Starbucks doesn't have TOO many calories, but there is just too much sugar - I need to switch to just plain lattes and ditch the vanilla. And that granola bar really did nothing to fill me up, plus their not that tasty, so it's just empty calories. But I'll give myself a break, because I was in a mad rush to make a train, and make it to my fab internship on time. 


Lunch: 
-Salad: baby spinach leaves, avocado, black olives, shredded mozzarella cheese, and walnuts. 
A decent lunch: got protein from the avocado and nuts, and those plus the spinach are all filling. Obviously I should have left out the cheese, but everything else was pretty good so I thought I could sneak that in there. Filling, satisfying, and yummy. 


Snack: 
-Half a bag of plain, lightly salted Soy Chips. 
-Small hazelnut coffee, with milk and sugar. 
Soy Chips are good, but not plain like this, hence the reason I ate half the bag. The plain ones kiiiind of taste like cardboard. I will def stick to the BBQ ones next time. I only eat Soy Chips when I'm dying for a potato chip, because their a healthier alternative. But the coffee needs to go - there was waaaaay too much sugar in that little cup. But, once again, I'll give myself a break here since I was interning and was exhausted. 


Dinner: 
-Morningstar Pizza veggie burger 
-About 1/2 cup roasted baby potatoes 
-About 1/2 cup Trader Joe's frozen mixed carrots. 
Could have definitely been better. My mom put butter on the potatoes, and those pizza veggie burgers don't have the lowest calories. But not horrible. 


Water: 
-1 16 oz. bottle 
-1 glass 
NEED. MORE. WATER. 


Okay. So looking back on today, I probably could have done better. And I still plan on having a little bit of dessert later, but nothing too serious - probably just some light butter, low-fat popcorn.


Overall, I think my first day went fairly well. Besides the fact that it's almost 8:30 and I'm starving. Oh, and ignoring the fact that I didn't exercise today. Honestly though, I didn't have time to hit the gym! I know, lame excuses. But tomorrow I will be there for Step class bright and early =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment